Is there any other sweet treat more synonymous with Christmas than gingerbread? Gingerbread when it comes in pretty cake form? Even better. This Gingerbread cake recipe is from Amber of Commie’s Cupcakes, and was featured in our Christmas mini mag from 2017.
Enjoy this light gingerbread cake perfectly paired with cinnamon cream cheese frosting and walnuts for added texture. A lovely addition to your Christmas table.
Gingerbread cake recipe by Commie’s Cupcakes
1 1/2 cups plain flour
3/4 cups self-raising flour
1 tsp bicarb soda
2 tbl ground ginger
1 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cups olive oil
1 cup golden syrup
3/4 cup milk
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease three 6 inch tins and line the base and sides with baking paper.
2. Sift the flours, bicarb soda, ginger, cinnamon and mixed spice into a large bowl and stir until combined. Stir in the sugar and put the bowl aside.
3. In your mixer combine the oil, golden syrup, egg and milk. Add the dry ingredients and beat the mixture on a medium speed for 15 seconds.
4. Pour the batter evenly between the three tins. Place the tins in the oven and cook the cake for approx 30 minutes or until cooked through.
5. Once out of the oven, overturn the cakes onto a drying rack to cool completely. Wrap the cakes in cling wrap and chill the cakes in the fridge.
For more Christmas inspo, head to our magazine page to read our Christmas mini mags online!
Stay tuned for the next Christmas mini mag issue coming out soon!